400g patty-pan squash, diced
20 shiitake mushrooms, seasoned (see below)
375g can rice straw mushroom, sliced
1 fresh Thai chilli pepper, sliced
1/2 cup sweet basil leaves (or mint leaves)
1 tsp sugar
2 tbs light soy sauce
1/4 cup water
2 tbs cooking oil
- Heat the oil in a wok then stir-fry the squash, adding a bit of water.
- When the squash is cooked, add the sugar and soy sauce. Continue to stir.
- Add the seasoned shiitake mushrooms, rice-straw mushrooms and the chilli. Stir-fry until everything is just tender.
- Serve on a plate garnished with the basil or mint leaves.
To season shiitake mushrooms:
- Let mushrooms soak overnight in water to soften.
- Squeeze the water into a bowl. Set mushrooms and water aside.
- Heat 2 tbs vegetable oil in a wok add the mushrooms and fry until fragrant.
- Add 3/4 cup light soy sauce, 3 tablespoons sugar and one cup of the water in which the mushrooms were soaked.
- Stir-fry until almost all of the water has evaporated and remove from heat.
Serve with fresh jasmine rice.