English Name: TOKYO LONG WHITE ONION
Asian Name: ishikuru
Latin Name: Allium fistulosum
- Little or no bulbing spring onion that grows with single stems.
- Ishikuru has white stalks and dark green leaves.
- A hardy annual to 45cm in height.
- A tender and tasty vegetable.
- Suitable to grow in pots.
- Harvest the tops continuously as ‘cut and come again’.
- It is possible to also pick the whole stem.
- Add composted organic matter before planting.
- Prefers well-drained, sandy loam.
- Plant in a full sun position.
- Only water lightly – be careful not to over water.
- The Tokyo Long White Onion prefers neutral to slightly alkaline soils (6.5 – 7.5).
- Use as a basting brush or a garnish.
- Great for use in stir-fries, salads and cooking.
- Use in soups and omelettes.