10 stalks Chinese broccoli, Gai Lan.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 slices ginger
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs Shao Hsing rice cooking wine
- Wash the broccoli in cold water and drain thoroughly.
- Trim one centimetre from the bottom of each stalk. Stalks that are more than one centimetre in diameter should be peeled, then halved lengthwise.
- Cut the broccoli stalks and leaves into 10 cm long pieces, keeping the stalk ends separate from the leaves and buds.
- Heat a flat bottomed wok over high heat until it is hot but not smoking.
- Add the oil and ginger, and stir fry 30 seconds.
- Add only the broccoli stalks and stir fry 1 minute.
- Add the leaves and continue cooking for 1 minute until the leaves are just limp.
- Sprinkle on the sugar, salt and rice wine.
- Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender but still bright green.
- Serve with rice or as a side dish.