1 large Japanese Long Tom eggplant
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp cornflour
3 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp crushed dried red pepper
6 slices ginger
4 Tokyo Long White onions, chopped
1 tbs dry sherry
- Cut stem off eggplant. Dice into small cubes. Sprinkle eggplant with salt and place in a colander to drain, letting it sit for 15 minutes then squeeze as much liquid out as possible.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and water.
- Heat dry sherry in a large skillet or wok. Add red peppers and stir.
- Add ginger, white part of onion. Stir fry briefly until ginger becomes fragrant.
- Add the eggplant and saute for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until eggplant is thoroughly cooked.
- Add soy sauce mixture and cook over high heat until most of the liquid is evaporated and the eggplant is thoroughly coated; about 5 minutes.
- Combine 2 tbs of water with cornflour. Add to wok along with remaining green onion stems.
- Stir and cook until thick.
- Serve hot over plain rice.