4-6 Japanese Long Tom eggplants
1 tsp chopped fresh ginger
1 tbsp chopped fresh garlic
1 tbsp hot bean paste (available from Chinese groceries)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup stock or water
1 tbsp chopped Tokyo Long White onion
- Cut eggplant into finger sized pieces.
- Saute with some water in a non-stick pan or wok, until soft.
- When soft, remove from pan.
- On low heat, cook garlic, ginger and hot bean paste for a minute. Then add salt, sugar, soy sauce and stock or water.
- Return the eggplant to the pan and cook for about five minutes until garlic is soft and a sauce forms.
- If sauce is too thin, thicken with 1 tsp cornflour mixed with 2 tsp water.
- Serve with white or brown rice.