2 cakes of tofu
1/2 cup water or vegetable stock
1 tsp cornflour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tbs finely grated gingerroot
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tbs soy sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 tsp rice vinegar
2 tsp honey or brown sugar
3 tbs oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup thinly sliced Ishikuru onion
6 cups Asian greens (Eg. bok choi, chard, kale, Chinese cabbage, Chinese spinach)
- Cut tofu crosswise into 2cm slices, then diagonally, to make triangles.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a flat dish and layer in the tofu triangles, turning to coat. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to absorb flavours.
- Prepare the sauce mix by combining all ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the water or stock and the 1 tsp of cornflour.
- Dredge the marinated tofu pieces in cornmeal and fry over medium heat in a shallow amount of oil for 3-4 minutes on each side. Drain and keep warm in oven.
- Add leftover marinade to the sauce mix.
- Heat 3 tbs of oil in a wok.
- Stir-fry garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add greens and continue stir-frying until just wilted but not mushy.
- Add sauce mix and cornstarch mix and stir-fry just until sauce is thickened.
- Add fried tofu.
- Serve with rice.