1 medium leek, chopped
1 medium potato
1/2 cup chopped Ishikuru onion
2 tbs unsalted butter
1 tbs olive oil
2 bunches Chinese celery, top leaves discarded and stalks cut into 4cm pieces
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Chinese parsley leaves or flat-leaf parsley
- Wash leek well in a bowl of cold water, then lift out and drain well. Peel and chop potato.
- Cook onion in butter and oil in heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring until softened for about 2 minutes.
- Add leek and cook, stirring until softened for about 5 minutes.
- Add celery and potato and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add wine and boil for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock and simmer, covered, until celery is very tender; about 1 hour.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender until very smooth then pour through a large medium-mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Transfer the soup to cleaned saucepan then stir in cream, salt and pepper and heat over low heat until hot.
- Thin with water if desired. Garnish with parsley.