English Name: SQUASH ‘PATTY PAN’
Latin Name: Cucurbita pepo
- A vegetable that has tender, round, golden fruit.
- The plant has vigorous dark green foliage.
- Fruits are delicious.
- It is an annual, warm season vine crop.
- Harvest the fruit when they are young. For extra interest, leave the flowers attached to the fruit.
- Make sure the fruit has firm glossy skin and good colour when picking.
- Good soil preparation using organic matter and pre-planting fertiliser, will see the plants through to the flowering stage.
- After flowering begins, scatter a mixed fertiliser around the base of the plants.
- Repeat the fertilising every 4 to 5 weeks while the plants are fruiting.
- Remove any damaged or sick leaves and fruit.
- Keep moist, especially in dry weather.
- The flowers can be used in Tempura.
- Steam or bake the fruit, with or without the skin.
- Boil, steam or bake the fruit.