English Name: ORIENTAL GREEN
Asian Name: senposai
Latin Name: Brassica ssp.
- Senposai is a cross between Chinese Cabbage and Japanese Spinach (Komatsuna).
- It has thick, tender green leaves that are soft like spinach and a moderately sweet taste like cabbage.
- It is an annual that grows to 35cm in height.
- It has excellent heat tolerance.
- It is best harvested when the leaves reach a height of about 25cm.
- Oriental Green prefers fertile, well-drained soil.
- Add lots of organic matter before planting.
- Water regularly, especially in dry weather.
- Great for use in salads, stir-frys and for pickling.
- Raw it has a mild mustardy taste.
- It is great sauteed by itself with a little olive oil and garlic.
- When cooking, it only needs a few minutes.