English Name: MIBUNA ‘GREEN SPRAY’
Asian Name: shui cai, kyona
Latin Name: Brassica ssp.
- A high yielding Japanese green with a fresh, slightly mustardy taste.
- Mibuna has long tender leaves that are delicious, bright green with smooth edges and white stems.
- An annual to 50cm in height.
- It grows in a clumping manner.
- The flowers are typically four-petalled and yellow.
- Suitable for growing in pots.
- Continuous harvest or ‘cut and come again’.
- Harvest the outside leaves as soon as they are big enough.
- It is possible to cut the whole plant at about six weeks old, but leave some plants to go to seed for the following year.
- Harvest regularly to encourage new growth.
- Plant in fertile, well-drained soil.
- A full sun to part shade position is ideal.
- Water regularly.
- Used in Japan in salads, soups and stir-fries.
- Can be used from tiny seedlings up to when the plant is fully grown.
- Flowering stems can also be eaten.