English Name: HORNED MUSTARD
Latin Name: Brassica juncea
- The leaves have tender midribs with little horns where the leaf begins.
- The leaves are golden-green in colour, smooth and hairless with frilled margins.
- Excellent garlic type flavour.
- An annual to a height of 30cm.
- Suitable to grow in pots.
- Harvest the young leaves continuously as ‘cut and come again’.
- It is also possible to harvest the whole plant.
- Apply a liquid fertiliser regularly.
- Plant in a full sun to part shade position.
- Fertile soil is preferred.
- Water regularly, particularly in dry weather.
- Pick the baby leaves to use in salads.
- Pickle or cook the older leaves.
- Can be stir-fried or steamed.
- Succulent bad-shoots can be picked when young and used in salads.