English Name: GIANT RED MUSTARD
Latin Name: Brassica rapa
- This is a Japanese type of mustard with maroon leaves.
- Has an excellent flavour.
- A vigorous grower.
- High in vitamins A, B and C.
- An annual to 40cm height.
- Also an excellent bedding plant.
- Great for continuous harvest of the outside leaves starting when the plant is about 15cm high – ‘cut and come again’.
- It is possible to harvest the whole plant to use when it reaches it’s full height.
- Apply liquid fertiliser regularly.
- A full sun to part shade position is recommended.
- Planting in fertile soil is prefered.
- Water regularly, particularly in dry or hot weather.
- Pick the baby leaves for use in salads.
Baby leaves add colour and zest to salads and sandwiches.
Pickle or cook the older leaves.
Can steam or stir-fry the whole plant (excluding the root).