English Name: GARLAND CHRYSANTHEMUM
Asian Name: shungiku, kikuna, shingiku
Latin Name: Chrysanthemum coronarium
- The Garland Chrysanthemum is an annual that grows to a height of 1m.
- It has single, tender, round stalks with finely cut green leaves.
- This chrysanthemum is highly valued for its’ spicy aromatic flavour.
- Flowers are bright yellow.
- Begin harvesting from the plants when they reach a height of 10 – 12 centimetres.
- The leaves are at their best when the plants are young.
- They become bitter as the plant ages or is subject to very hot conditions.
- Remove the flower heads from plants to encourage more leaf growth.
- Plants prefer nutrient and humus rich soil.
- Grow in full sun.
- Water regularly.
- The leaves and stems are eaten as a vegetable.
- Steam, blanch or boil and serve with a little soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Great to use in beef and fish dishes.
- Excellent for soups, stir-fries and leafy salads.
- Sprouted seeds can be eaten in salads or as a snack.
- The petals of flowers are edible, either fresh or dried.