English Name: EGGPLANT VIOLET PRINCE
Asian Name: qie zi, ai kua, terung
Latin Name: Solanum melongena
- A high yielding Asian delicacy.
- Fruit is small, round and a beautiful purple colour.
- An annual to 1.5m.
- Very attractive plants and fruits for home gardens.
- Harvest when fruit is shiny and firm.
- Use soon after harvesting.
- Use a sharp knife to remove fruits from plants.
- If the skin has started to wrinkle, the fruits are too mature and the flesh will be coarse and tough.
- Eggplants prefer deep fertile soil with organic matter added before planting.
- Plant in full sun.
- Water regularly.
- Stake plant to prevent it falling over and fruits touching the ground.
- Use a stainless steel knife when preparing the fruit.
- Perfect in Thai dishes.
- Great to grill, saute or stir-fry.
- Suitable to bake, boil or mash.