English Name: EGGPLANT JAPANESE LONG TOM
Asian Name: qie zi, ai kua, terung
Latin Name: Solanum melongena
- Japanese Long Tom is a prolific yielder – up to 50 fruit per plant.
- Early maturing variety.
- Disease resistant.
- Glossy purple-black fruit.
- Annual to 1.5m in height.
- Harvest when fruit is 16cm in length.
- Use fruit soon after harvesting.
- Pick the fruit when they are young to ensure higher production.
- Use a sharp knife to cut fruit from the plants.
- If the skin has started to wrinkle, the fruits are too mature and the flesh will be coarse and tough.
- Plant in deep fertile soil with organic matter added before planting.
- Eggplants prefer full sun and regular watering.
- Stake plants to add support and prevent the fruit from touching the ground.
- Excellent for frying, cooking and pickling.
- Great for tempura.
- Suitable to bake, boil or mash.