English Name: CHINESE WHITE CABBAGE
Asian Name: bok choi (bok choy, pak choi, pak toi)
Latin Name: Brassica chinensis
- Green Fortune is a green stemmed Bok Choi.
- It is an early maturing variety with a crisp, sweet flavour.
- It is an annual with a compact habit, growing to a height of 20cm.
- This Bok Choi is a more heat tolerant variety, making it ideal for year round production.
- Both the young leaves and stems are able to be picked and used.
- Harvest as Baby Bok Choi for individual servings or when the plant reaches full size.
- It takes approximately 24 days to reach the Baby Leaf stage and 45 days to full maturity.
- Bok Choi prefers rich, loamy soils with lots of organic matter.
- Plant in full sun and keep the soil moist, particularly in dry weather.
- Use the leaves and stems fresh in salads.
- Add chopped leaves and stems to soups and stir-fries.
- The whole plant (except the roots) can be braised, steamed or simmered and served as a vegetable, sometimes accompanied by a white sauce.
- The leaves and stem can be pickled in salt for later use.