English Name: PAPRIKA
Latin Name: Capsicum annum L. var, longum
- Elongated red fruit that grows to 15cm in length.
- It has a sweet, spicy flavour.
- Paprika is a warm season plant.
- It is suitable to grow in pots.
- The fruit is suitable to harvest when the skin is glossy and smooth.
- Cut the stems rather than pulling the fruit as this avoids damage to the plants.
- Frequent harvesting of the fruit encourages more flowers and fruit.
- Regular watering especially in dry weather.
- Start picking early for higher productivity.
- After flowering has begun, use a mixed fertiliser as a side dressing every 4 to 5 weeks while plants are fruiting.
- If the plants are exposed to wind, or are carrying a heavy crop, they may need staking.
- Use fresh or dried and ground into a sweet powder.
- Good for flavouring sauces and pickles.
- Use in cooked dishes like soups and stews.